How does the quality of US elections compare globally?
Here’s a mini-Vlog lecture briefing ahead of the 2022 November mid-terms.
- There is a long history of problems with US elections dating back to the foundation of the Republic.
- The US is middle ranking when compared internationally – and 16th amongst the Americas.
- Electoral Integrity Project data shows that problems are the greatest with electoral districting, voter registration and laws
- The conduct of parties/candidates – alongside media reporting will be critical in 2022. The results process is robust – but misinformation and false claims can quickly undermine confidence.
These resources might be useful:
- Pippa Norris’ book on Electoral Integrity in America: https://academic.oup.com/book/9026?login=false
- My book on the political history of US election administration: https://link.springer.com/book/10.1057/9781137035097