Welcome to my website. I am Professor of Politics and Public Policy at the University of East Anglia UK and Distinguished Fellow at the School of Policy Studies at Queens University, Canada.
I am also co-Director of the Electoral Integrity Project and Editor-in-Chief of the multi-disciplinary, social sciences journal Policy Studies.
I have held positions at the University of Sydney, the John W. Kluge Center in the Library of Congress, Washington D.C., USA, Swansea University, UK and International IDEA, Sweden.
My research focuses on:
- electoral integrity and policy-orientated solutions for improving elections
- concepts of democracy and democratic backsliding
- political leadership
- public policy and theories of policy change
You’ll find some of my work in journals such as International Political Science Review, Electoral Studies, Government and Opposition, Parliamentary Affairs, and the British Journal of Politics and International Relations. I am the author or co-editor of eight books including: Elite Statecraft and Election Administration (Palgrave, 2012), Comparative Electoral Management (Routledge, 2020), Building Inclusive Elections (Routledge, 2020), and The Trump Administration (Routledge, 2022); and published in Oxford and LSE University presses.
I have written commissioned policy reports for national and international organisations, and collaborated with organisations such as International IDEA, IFES, the Carter Center, Westminster Foundation for Democracy, Electoral Commission of South Africa and the UK FCDO. I have regularly given invited evidence to many Parliamentary committees and collaborated with organisations such as the Venice Commission. I was previously Senior Fellow to the UK All Party Parliamentary Group on Democratic Participation and been an invited speaker around the world including at Harvard University and for the UNDP.
My research has been externally funded by the British Academy, Leverhulme Trust, AHRC, ESRC, Nuffield Foundation, SSHRC, Joesph Rowntree Reform Trust, UK Electoral Commission and the McDougall Trust. I have received awards in recognition of the policy impact of my work.
I support Norwich City FC. So if you follow me on Twitter, you’ll find tweets relating to my research, but also the occasional, over-excited tweet about the Canaries when they win.
I am currently writing on:
- Conceptualising and measuring electoral integrity funded by the SSHRC
- Conceptualising democracy and democratic backsliding funded by Unlock Democracy
- COVID-19 and elections, funded by the ESRC
- The politics and policy of electoral data, funded by the UK Democracy Fund
- Applied research on policies to improve elections such as voter registration reform, electoral observation and international electoral assistance.
My research is all available through this website. I am always happy to send over copies of papers of material and keen to receive policy and media requests.